The London Kitchen Extension Co.

victorian terrace kitchen side extensions

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Frequently Asked Questions...

Is My Kitchen Suitable For An Extension?

Virtually all terraced, or end of terrace, Victorian or Edwardian properties are suitable. You can telephone or call into our office for a preliminary chat. It usually follows that an appointment is made to visit your property. This is a no obligation service. Whilst visiting your property, we will discuss your needs and will advise you as to the feasibility of the project. On the basis of this initial survey we will be

Do I Need A Formal Agreement With The Neighbours?

The work to the (new) boundary wall requires you to comply with the requirements of the Party Wall Act 1996. The Act gives you rights to and duties over the works

Where we are called upon to execute works to party or common walls or boundaries, it is your responsibility to inform the owners of the adjoining properties as to the works proposed. This is to ensure that there are no objections and to avoid any possible damage to fixtures or contents by obtaining the necessary approvals to the works.

Notices to the Adjoining Owners must be served, acknowledged and in place one month before commencement of the works. Sometimes this can be straight forward, whilst on other occasions it can prove to be protracted. Two months therefore is the usual minimum period of notice. This can run in parallel with the wait for planning consent.

Due to a professional conflict of interest, The London Kitchen Extension Co Ltd cannot act on your behalf. However, we can recommend a Chartered Building Surveyor who is familiar with this type of work and who could end up acting for both you and your neighbour. The Party Wall Surveyor's fees are not included in our quotation and will be borne by the customer direct to the Surveyor.

Do You Need The Services Of A Structural Engineer?

As there will be structural work involved, for example the removal of a wall, it will be necessary to employ a structural engineer. Their fee will be inclusive within our quotation to you. Their services would be to produce accurate calculations to satisfy the needs of the Building Regulations. We will use a Chartered Structural Engineer who will have a thorough knowledge of what is required for the extension. They will carry with them their own professional indemnity insurance cover.

What Local Authority Consents Do I Need?

The works will need both planning and building regulations consent, which we will arrange. Planning consent approval usually takes about two months from submission of the application. The charge for the application is included within our quotation to you. On occasions the project can be procured through Permitted Development.

Building control at the local authority are also notified. Regular visits by the building inspector during the course of the works will take place to ensure adherance to the regulations. There is a charge for this which cannot be avoided! On satisfactory completion of the works, a certificate will be issued. Again, the fees for this are included within our quotation to you.

How Much Will It Cost Me?

A side extension to a typical mid terrace house in south west London would cost in the region of £30,000 up to £60,000 plus VAT for all design and building work, excluding the fitting out of the cabinets, worktops and appliances. The latter does not constitute a quotation.

The design work includes:

  • Measured survey.
  • Planning drawings and application fee to the local authority.
  • Construction drawings.
  • Structural engineer’s work.
  • Local authority building control application and fee.

The quotation range for the building work can vary due to the various alterations that can be done in addition to the extension itself. The most common alterations are:

  • Remove and support chimney breast.
  • Install ground floor toilet/utility.
  • Folding sliding doorset to the rear elevation.
  • Installation of underfloor heating.

How long will the project take?

Subject to specification, this will take approximately 8-10 weeks for a typical standard size project.

Additional Services

We can also provide a full service in carpentry, joinery, plumbing, electrics, decorating, tiling, etc and now offer a sophisticated range of kitchen installations including worktops, cabinets and appliances. We will be happy to quote for any of these services separately to bring any other part of your kitchen to a high quality of specification.